Arroz Con Pollo
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
SAUTÉ: 5 MINUTES
RICE/PRESSURE COOK: 10 MINUTES HIGH PRESSURE
MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK: 2 MINUTES HIGH PRESSURE
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES
Every country in Latin America has its own version of this chicken-and-rice dish. It’s a great one-pot meal with rice, meat, and veggies that can really stretch your meal dollars while also providing amazing flavor. You won’t feel like you’re scrimping when you eat this! The recipe calls for achiote paste, which is a mixture of ground annatto seeds, cumin, garlic, and other spices. I recommend the Goya brand. A small amount of this condiment gives the dish its intense and distinctive flavor
- In a large bowl, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Select the Sauté setting to preheat the pressure-cooker pot.
- When hot, add the achiote paste and olive oil, and sear the chicken pieces on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, sofrito, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Stir to ensure the rice is fully covered with liquid. Close and lock the lid.
- Select the Rice/Pressure Cook setting and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure. Unlock and carefully open the lid.
- Add the carrots and peas. Close and lock the lid.
- Select the Manual/Pressure Cook setting and cook for 2 minutes at high pressure. When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure. Carefully unlock and remove the lid. Stir to combine everything. Add cilantro and lemon juice (if using), and serve.