Traditional Latino Dishes
Just like other cultures, Latinas/os have their favorites, and we can never say no to abuelas cooking. No matter what we do no recipe will taste exactly like abuelas cooking but, we can try. In a Latino household, cooking is one of the ways we entertain ourselves and others. Take a look at these 5 delicious specialty dishes, we’re sure you’ll want to try them!
1) Churrasco, often known as skirt steak in American restaurants, is extremely popular in Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Argentina, and Guatemala. You can find churrasco in steakhouses and many Latin American Restaurants.
2) Empanadas or Pastelillos, are found all over the world, but everyone makes them differently. They can be baked or fried. They can be filled with meat, cheese, vegetables and fruits among other ingredients. It’s up to you want you want to fill them with. Each empanada or Pastelillo can be different depending on the country.
3) A tamal, pastele, or tamale in english is similar to empanadas but instead of using a dough base you use a starchy corn or plantain based wet dough. Once the dough is made it’s filled with meat, vegetables or whatever you would like.Then it’s boiled or steamed in a banana leaf wrapper. Depending on the country of origin the tamal has different names and varies in cooking requirements and taste. How good does that sound!
4) Chipas, a small baked cheesy flavored roll, is a popular snack in many Latin American countries, like Argentina. It’s also a great breakfast food with a little Café Bustelo.
5) Sancocho is extremely popular in Latin Caribbean cultures. It takes a lot of time and patience but it’s worth it. It’s a traditional soup served in several Latin American restaurants and homes. It has plantains, yuca,red meat, and a whole lot of seasoning! It’s predominantly made during the winter months when a hardy soup is needed. Delicioso!
So next time you’re stuck inside on a cold day try making one of these ultra popular Latin dishes. Let us know which one is your favorite! We know we can’t choose just one. We love them all!